Follow by Email

Friday, 30 August 2013

A Change In Direction






The new design is sewn together like a cushion cover and needs no edge binding.

Detail of the eco print. Looks a bit like wheat!


The finished product in test photo shoot!




There is a lot to be said for taking time with design development. I learned this at college, but now that I'm working on my own it takes all my discipline not to simply think of an idea and do it! I had done an amount of sampling with quilt designs and made decisions on materials, techniques and finishes etc. I then launched into what I hoped would be the beginnings of an inventory of finished quilts.
It wasn't until three were completed that I realised my innovative idea of finishing them by folding the edges inward and blanket stitching through the layers was not viable. They looked fabulous before washing, but that binding just didn't stand up to the machine. (It's part of my self imposed design brief that the quilts should be suitable for every day use and hardy enough to withstand machine washing, secured in a pillow case or other fabric bag) 
So back to the drawing board I went and came up with a design that looks more professional and will actually be quicker to make in the long run. A few other tweaks happened along the way (namely the coloured wool stitching) giving the new design quite a different look to the earlier versions. I'll post images of those later.
The experience hammers home to me the importance of design development, how it can't be rushed, and to go with the flow when the design takes a new direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment