Monday 24 June 2013

Quilted Scarf

Here are some images of a recent project. The National Wool Museum in Geelong, Victoria is currently holding its annual Scarf Festival, and I have entered for the first time this year with a quilted silk scarf hand dyed using natural dye processes. I love that I can use plant material and other bits and pieces found around my home, and  perform my experiments in my very own kitchen without fear of poisoning my family with toxic fumes. I also love that although certain plants will generally produce  particular colours, the results are never 100% predictable so there's always an element of surprise when finally unwrapping the bundles!

My scarf will be on display at the Scarf Festival at the National Wool Museum until 25 August 2013.


Dye bath of loquat leaves.

Print materials collected from my garden.

Print materials are arranged on the silk fabric...

... then tightly wrapped around my trusty rusty funnel. The rusted metal reacts with the fabric to create interesting effects.

The bundle is added to the dye bath along with the scarf back. 

Back and front pieces drying on the line.

Bamboo batting was sandwiched between the layers.

Silk yarn was used to stitch the layers into a quilt.


The finished scarf!

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful! Thank you for sharing this creative process.

    ReplyDelete